Monday, January 18, 2010

Improving Your Ability to Share and Connect

After reading Mark Zuckerberg's Facebook announcement, I'm a little concerned with the direction they are headed with user information. There's growing sediment on the internet that Facebook doesn't respect privacy and that they want to use information gathered on users for marketing purposes. That last part isn't a shocker, after all they are in it to make money, however the lack of user control mechanisms is a little discomforting.

For example, I can't stop from being tagged in photo's or having an obnoxious friend write something on my Wall without my approval. I can easily show up in the stream of live feeds and can be embarrassed for all of my 370 friends to see -- which is something a few of my friends have had to deal with. So you know what that does? It makes us less of a participant on Facebook. We will start to shy away from pictures, not post our friend's wall and ultimately become passive users. This is strictly my opinion, but if Facebook doesn't make a more concerted effort to give us more control over our online social lives, it may backfire and make their "social network" far less social.

Although, there's a lot to question about Facebook's privacy policy, some would argue they have gone to good lengths to give users control -- I'm not one of them. But here is a link on CNET for the pro's and con's of the new privacy settings.

3 comments:

  1. It does seem like facebook is snowballing towards having customized pop-ups on our profile page. They're company is valued extremely high relative to their revenue stream. Facebook is going to have to adapt and change their model to survive, even if that makes the user experience littered with ads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit that I do shy away sometimes when I'm "out and about" in the city for a night out with my friends. You have to monitor your every move and approve any photos that are taken because you know it's going to show up on Facebook.

    The one privacy change that really bothered me is that they got rid of regional networks. I am one of those people mentioned in Zuckerberg article that have high school friends that I rarely talk to now, and for some I rarely talked to them back in the day. Regional networks allowed me to easily control my profile. Once they were gone, I had to spend hours going through all my friends to sorting them into different groups in order to control my settings. It was no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same problem with Facebook. I joined the site mainly for networking purposes but I've found it difficult to control the content that is available on my profile. As a site that many potential employers visit to gain info on potential job candidates, you would think that users would have more controls to monitor their profile content.

    ReplyDelete