Sunday, January 31, 2010

Consumers: Talk to me or meet your doom?

"If you don't join the conversations customers are having about you, your brands, and the things that matter to your brands, then you're dead." This is a pretty powerful quote from a recent interview with Federated Media's John Battelle.

At this point, statements from experts like this shouldn't shock anyone. Social media has become the great equalizer as described in the youtube clip "Conversational Marketing" by providing a communication platform for consumers. Personally, it's unimaginable for me not comment about recent purchases either on Twitter, forums or even the company site itself. Although I've never truly had a "conversation" with a company, I appreciate the one's that would be willing to hear me out versus the ones who don't. To see a great example of this check out My Starbucks where Starbucks actively engages in conversation with their customers to better their products.

For those companies still catching up with "conversations", I truly fear for their survival. They are missing customer insight, losing relevance and most importantly not building relationships. Although not everyone wants to have conversations with companies - see Jeff the situation blog post - I still feel its important for businesses to engage their customers.

How do you feel about companies that don't engage in conversations? Would this affect your relationship or willingness to buy from them?

2 comments:

  1. Haha I appreciate the blog shoutout... I guess you see the engagement as a way for companies to transform future products tailored to the customer. I see this customer interaction as the company's attempt to "blitz the consumer" with needless information that the customer either does not need, or does not care about...I just don't like the blurring of the line between social friends and companies. My friends care about my well-being.. I don't get a birthday message from the facebook profile of Coca-Cola...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Conversational Marketing is silly like Brett Favre's last name. Companies aren't your friends. People know this. The smart majority start their own blogs and sites to be real about things. It's better for companies to take it upon themselves to monitor established sites (Amazon) in order to gather information about what people think.

    ReplyDelete