Saturday, February 20, 2010

Networking - Real world and online

Months before I officially started my MBA I had lunch with a fellow co-worker who was a mentor to me. He had gone to M.I.T. for his MBA and I really respected his opinion on career related matters. I asked him what his best advice for me would be and I'll never forget his words - "Don't kill yourself over the books, get out there and meet as many people as you can. Its all about getting a JOB..." That statement had a profound impact on me while at Kogod and drove me to network beyond the norm. During these last 2 years I've spent more time outside of the classroom than probably should be allowed. Don't get me wrong, I love the professors at AU, but because I was so willing and accepting of networking opportunities I benefited greatly by scoring 2 internships, visiting execs of fortune 100 companies, and being affiliated with a major non profit IT organization.

How was I able to gain all of these valuable experiences? Networking - both in real life and online. Merging these two worlds is the real key to success. For example, after I met a professional in my field of interest, I connected with them on Linked-In the next day for reinforcement. This way they can see my work experience and related info and get a better feel for who I am. I also send notes regularly to certain folks through Linked-In and actually get meaningful responses. Folks who haven't jumped on the Linked-In bandwagon need to take notice. It's becoming the preferred platform for job seekers and employers as mentioned in this Mashable article "How to Get the Most Out of Linked-In." As I stare down graduation with 3 months to go, its been a comforting and useful tool in my job search. At this point, if you're not on there and you're in this MBA program I pray you have a great Rolodex.

4 comments:

  1. Haha good point, maybe I should have read this blog before I decided to go 100k into debt for business school... I guess our tuition just pays to open doors to talk to more people...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like you've been extremely diligent and successful in networking. I just get worried that many other people may receive promotions and jobs less for their skills and more for who they know in certain circumstances. If we're all to be networking for upward mobility, are we really becoming better at what we do, or simply climbing the ladder through artificial means?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish someone would have told me that before I came to B school. I've been so focused on my school work that now I feel like I have fallen behind on networking. I guess I have some catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To WishIWereSleeping:

    I think there is a line between keeping a relationship and doing work. Think about this way: imagine that a company sends you wishes on your birthday or emails you on a regular basis after you buy a product from them. Will you find them more likable so that you might purchase their products again? Networking is exactly like the way to keep the relationship, you might get something but you might also not get anything. It is a way to keep opportunities being open for you.

    But I have to say, networking is a plus not a must. If you suck in your profession, networking will bring nothing to the table.

    ReplyDelete